Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Snowglobe

I just can’t believe it. Snow. Snow! Why??? I felt like I was walking to school inside a freshly-shaken snowglobe.

I have to attend a two-hour speech on frivolous litigation this evening for Torts. Can’t wait. I’m sure it will be life-altering and awe-inspiring.

Seeing as we’ve been filling out teacher critiques all week, I thought I would lodge some final notes about my professors, just for posterity’s sake.
Catch phrases:
i. Dean Hurd – “let’s unpack this” (i.e., let’s analyze what this means...)
ii. Professor Smith – “at first blush” (at first glance)
iii. Professor Maggs – “what does the Restatement say about this?” (a restatement is a publication interpreting the statutes and spitting them out in a slightly less legaleze format, emphasis on slightly. It’s broken into sections and subsections until you wind up citing something like “Restatement § 161(a)(1)(ii)(b)(2)...According to Maggs, the secret of life can be concluded and proven by a reference to the applicable section of the Restatement.)
iv. Professor Robbenolt doesn’t really have a catch phrase, but she speaks continually at a remarkable volume from her diaphragm – she’s new to this school and is used to teaching in giant auditoriums.
Notable habits:
i. Dean Hurd – (1) she’s so sharp and quick-witted she often runs out of breath spewing insights and thoughts out in one long breath until her words kind of break off. I imagine Einstein must have had a similar problem. (2) she always looks like she stepped out of a catalog, crisp and professional. (3) is it obvious I really like her?
ii. Professor Smith – both doors absolutely have to be closed at all times. If a student opens a door to frequent the facilities, he will pointedly stop speaking until he hears the handle click shut. And when he walks in, the podium he puts his notes on everyday has to be in its correct place, not on the floor in the corner, or he complains – it’s to the point that one of us will move it into place before class starts.
iii. Professor Maggs – (1) he clears his throat constantly, like he’s digging for clams (2) he will engage in these long pauses to collect his thoughts, to the point that we will all look up expectantly, wondering if he’s staring straight at us and waiting for our attention.
iv. Professor Robbenolt – Again, the auditorium-voice habit. Whenever she’s going to say something important, her voice deepens and increases about three decibels.

I was really looking forward to a 10-day class break, but now I’m kind of dreading it. I have so much to memorize. So much to organize in my mind. So much to read. To review. To this, to that.... and no matter how much I do, it will seem insufficient, I’m sure.

I was really concerned about my hamster, so I dragged him out and put him in the little pen last night. He scrambled about like a banshee for about twenty minutes, digging, poking little pink paws through the bars, attempting to climb out, and generally expressing extreme agitation that a sick hamster would not be capable of, so I am quite comforted. The one thing I did notice is he is quite plump – he used to be the little, skinny, ratty-looking one, but now the grey one’s trim and in shape and the white one’s the putz. Hmm. Maybe he's depressed about the weather. That would certianly be understandable.