Thursday, November 3, 2005

Choices...

I believe I mentioned that I attended a Final Exam Preparation seminar last week. Well, the dean, who also teaches my Criminal Law course, sends out a monthly letter to the college community (i.e. her underlings), and she opened this week’s letter thusly: "As I looked into the ashen faces of my first-year criminal law students last week during a session devoted to talking about how to prepare for first-semester exams, I got that slightly nauseous annual sensation that makes me feel as much like a 1L as our 1L's! For as I talked to them about exams, I was forced to contemplate the fact that as Thanksgiving approaches, so too do tasks as monumental as first-year exams..." Well. Thanks for instilling a fresh injection of fear!

I am now officially able to register for the Spring Semester as soon as my (allegedly) randomly-assigned registration start time arrives. Walking over to the Health Center and physically dropping off my letter from the Dean of Students really expedited the process. My time isn’t until 6pm two weeks from now, but I only get to choose one class, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. The other three requisites are: Statutory Interpretation ("Students will study how public policy concerns are reflected in statutory law, the role of legislative history and political debate on statutory interpretation, and the role of the courts in interpreting statutes" and we may choose from three sections, focusing on the Americans with Disabilities Act, Voting Rights, Fair Housing or Federal Income Tax); Introduction to Advocacy ("Students write and argue briefs at the trial and appellate level"); and Civil Procedure ("an overview of litigation, from the client's first office visit to the time judgment becomes final or the case is settled"). Hmm.

There’s something going on today regarding football (couldn’t tell you what; don’t ask), so the biggest student parking lot is closed today. As a result,, my otherwise moderately- busy parking streets orbiting the law school and the graveyard across the street instead accommodate an endless laundry line of cars that would otherwise hide in one of the prepaid lots that I have attempted so assiduously to acquire access to (I’m "on the list" and "might get on for next year" – how encouraging.)

What a beautiful day - 70 degrees in November!