Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Tuesday

Contracts this morning is actually interesting. I haven’t been called on, but raised my hand three times. I think everybody’s asleep – I was the only one raising my hand for the problems in question. We’re discussing offers, and whether negotiations and discussions can constitute binding offers. It’s a shame the professor is so dull, because Contracts is my favorite reading material.

Well, of course, as soon as I said that, I was called on and mercilessly annihilated. Ah, well. Such is life.

I opened my mail today (I only undertake this activity once every three days or so, because it’s depressing to open the mailbox and not even get a junk solicitation for Wal-Mart) and it was a neutral endeavor: the excitement of a people magazine, Gift Certificate and Walt Disney World pen were slightly doused by the arrival of a WATER bill. They charge you for WATER? What next? Are we all going to have to wear breathing apparatuses? “Sorry, miss, you breathed six cubic meters of air this week, that’ll be two hundred dollars, please.” I mean, come on! Thirty-five dollars for something you can dig out of the ground yourself??? So much for long baths!

The Plant Guy, who I mentioned before, the one with a replica of the Amazon crammed into his living room, was walking along the road last night as I came home. He has a little two-tiered push cart teeming with buckets of water, presumably filled from the pond. He’s probably afraid of an astronomical water bill. Who can blame him?

As with everything in life, the Law School classroom experience can be succinctly and accurately described in metaphor to a Monty Python skit snippet:
Broadcaster: We are here tonight with Mr. Raymond Luxury Yacht –
Mr. Yacht: Excuse me, but that’s not how you pronounce my name.
Broadcaster: Oh, I beg your pardon. (He attempts to sound out the name phonetically)
Mr. Yacht: No no no, it's spelled, "Raymond Luxury Yacht," but it's pronounced, “Throat Warbler Mangrove.”