Monday, September 12, 2005

Monday . . .

I went in to speak to one of the Deans this morning about repressing my directory information, but it turns out that if I keep my addresses, etc., out of the records, potential employers will not be able to contact me in second and third year, and I won’t be able to send out resumes or anything through the offices of Career Services. She did give me a long song-and-dance about the Honor Code we’re bound to in law school, and said if I had any concerns about other students, I could go speak to her any time. As though she doesn’t have anything better to do.

We have classes straight through from 9 to 2:30 today. Dean Vermillion was out of town last week, so we have to make up the courses this week. It wouldn’t be too bad, but it’s the same deal with my Property professor, so we have yet another makeup crammed in. It’ll be the same deal on Wednesday. I wish I had managed to scrounge up more sleep last night – I fell asleep almost immediately, but popped out of slumber at 4:45 and couldn’t fall back asleep. I was called on in Criminal Law today, so that makes all four classes now. I could almost feel the webs of sleep weaving through my brain as I formed an answer, the coils and wheels in my mind crunching past spiders in a quest for the perfect answer.

I started looking into supplementary art classes this morning, but it turns out the deadline to add a class already passed. Blah!

Here’s an interesting cocktail party statistic: only four states in the nation have codified a requirement that, if it is reasonable to do so, citizens are required to aid a person in peril: Minnesota, Rhode Island, Vermont and – you guessed it – Wisconsin. In all other 46 states, you can’t drown someone, but you can watch them drown, and you don’t have to throw a rope; you can’t push a blind man off a cliff, but you don’t have to open your mouth if he comes walking by inquiring the location of the cliff.

Why I like Professor Smith, Chapter One… Student: “Is that a question for me?” “No, for your alter ego.”