Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Eight Belles

Carrie: So you’re a pessimist, right?
Miranda: Have we met?
- Sex and the City

Arrrrrrrgh. Down to three days, now. I’m so nervous, it’s like there’s something pawing around inside my stomach. I want to throw up. Or go home and lay down. I’m losing my focus... help! Ahhhh! Must focus! Need to focus! Think, girl, think!

I sure hope I pass everything.

That poor filly, Eight Belles... she ran so brilliantly in the Derby, only to collapse after the wire? Seems awfully suspicious. I think there’s something to the story we’re not privy to, like a recurring injury or an inherent flaw or some sort of preexisting defect. It’s like the was injured from the start, or even before the race, but ran anyway because that’s what she’s trained to do and it’s in her blood, but as soon as the jockey started pulling her up after the wire, she just gave out because the adrenaline was no longer urging her along. Hope the same thing doesn’t happen to me. What a race, though. Wonder if Big Brown really has what it takes to go the Triple Crown? He certainly seemed fresh enough after the race, bucking his jockey off (nice touch, that). I thought the horse’s name was a reference to Man o’ War’s nickname Big Red, but it turns out they named the horse after Fed Ex. How ridiculous. Has everything become commercialized, now?