Monday, November 27, 2006

Junk in General

°o° On this day in 1993, the Beauty & the Beast stage show opened in Houston.

We went to see the new Bond movie over the break. I really lacked enthusiasm for the entire endeavor as I have yet to enjoy a Bond film. I actually fell asleep during the one with Halle Berry, even though one of my beloved Pythons (John Cleese) was a co-star. But, we had to go scope out the new Bond (I didn’t like the old one at all). The new one was excellent (“Shaken or stirred?” “Do I look like I give a damn?”). The movie, however, was most definitely not my cup of tea. The fact that for its first two weeks of release, Bond has ceded the #1 box office spot to a cartoon about dancing penguins says something very, very positive about our culture.

Tomorrow night there is a general invitation out to all law students to attend Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. I typically ignore such invitations, but a) it’s at the theater right up the road from my apartment, and b) I am dying to see the film. I saw the guy on Leno a while ago, and he just cracks me up. It’s a mockumentary of some sort, and the clips I’ve seen look excellent. I might just have to go; could use a laugh.

The Man from Snowy River was on tv last night as I fell asleep. I love that movie. Lots of horses, happy ending, nothing offensive or even slightly questionable about it. Too bad movies like that don’t make money; maybe we’d have more of them.