Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Pipe Dreams

°o° On this day in 1943, Saludos Amigos went on general US release.

Considering it’s black history month, I think it’s appropriate to recount my favorite poem, “Dream Deferred,” by my favorite poet, Langston Hughes. For the unenlightened among you, he was black.

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

I don’t know why it popped into my head today... I guess because I was thinking about drawing. During my “lunch hour” I dipped into an empty room and put Eddie Izzard’s Definite Article on my computer to listen to while drawing and munching. He’s absolutely brilliant.

I am so tired today, I just want to lay down and veg out in front of the television. I guess it’s possible, because Gilmore Girls is on today, but I have to play tennis. Sigh. I would love it, but I’m horrible. Ugh. But- I’ll get to watch Gilmore Girls when I get home, and it’s new. Hoo-rah.

A modicum of hope: I met with Professor Smith yesterday about my research paper and mentioned that my ultimate goal is to work for Disney. He thought I would need to get a job at a big firm first and then weasel my way in-house from there. I mentioned that my goal is to get to the coast, Orlando or Florida, and then become an in-house counsel, and added, “I know that’s a pipe dream....” He said, “No, I don’t think that’s unrealistic.” Rah!