Friday, September 1, 2006

In Mathematics Land!

“Mr. Schneider. You look like you have a hemorrhoid.” - Professor Columbo (Income Tax)

Yes!!! Life is good! I just want to announce that in tax today, Professor Colombo referenced Disney! My stupid obsessions (Disney, Monty Python, etc) came back to help me again! He said, “See? Tax is just mathematics. Who’s seen Donald in Mathematics Land?” (I was the only one who raised my hand.) “See? One person’s seen Donald in Mathematics Land.” He looked at the person currently under the fire of the Socaratic Method. “You haven’t seen Donald in Mathematics Land?” The guy shook his head. “That’s… that’s sad. You’ve lead a deprived childhood.” So it seems like a small thing, but any brownie point I can tally is a good one, right?

You know, just when I’m tempted to resume disliking John Mayer for being a potentious suck-up, the guy issues a song that makes it just impossible to hate him. His new song “Waiting on the World to Change” starts so slow and mopey I really wanted to dislike it, but the lyrics are so spot-on and clever I just can’t. From whence does he mine them? Is there a place to purchase a piece of that inspiration?

I was so disappointed last night in Panic! At the Disco’s performance - the band was excellent, but the singer wobbled from key to key with absolute abandon. It was horrible. They did win Video of the Year, though, which they deserved. Thankfully, the Killers ended the show with their “When You Were Young,” and were absolutely fabulous. Strange. Panic’s performance was pretty but, technically, junk; the Killers were kind of boring to look at, but excellent from a critic’s standpoint. I was surprised Shakira didn’t win anything.

Our tax class is about half full today, if that. I’m sure everyone is just skiving off early to go on vacation or whatnot. There’s a group of people going fishing/boating in Iowa who are cutting right after Tax. When I heard about that, this image of Sassy from Homeward Bound thrashing about in the river came to mind.