Monday, August 20, 2007

Year Three :: Day One : Class Three

Now I’m in International Law, toting a text entitled International Law and World Order. A rather tall order, I think. The professor is one of those manic human rights people and thirty-four minutes into the course he has already ruthlessly skewered Bush on his war practices. One of our assignments is to read the New York times every morning. I have to say that’s one of the better assignments we’ve ever received, but he claims that the online version does not “have everything” so we’re supposed to subscribe. I don’t know how he expects a bunch of broke college students to afford such a thing...? But the final exam is a take-home, bless him!

I keep waiting for the anxiety to kick in. This time last year I was breathless and panicking all day. Strange.

When I pulled in last night and surgically extracted my proliferation of catalogs, bills and newspapers from my tiny apartment mailbox, I almost leaped out of my skin when I spotted an elegant tan envelope at the very bottom with the return address Law Offices of Rodney Cubbie, S.C. How fabulous of him to write back! I couldn’t believe it. What a great guy. He was my favorite one to watch in the court room.