Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Class One: Civil Procedure...

“Good Morning, I’m David Hyman. Welcome to Civil Procedure. I’m sorry to interrupt your winter vacation.”

This guy doesn’t clash as horribly as most of the professors last semester did.... standard cobalt blue ratcatcher, red tie with blue and tan diamonds, olive khaki pants, standard smooth mahogandy leather belt... and horribly clashing white Nike tennis shoes with navy blue piping. Maybe he has a back problem? He reminds me of a grown-up Chris Gaddour from USM – dark, middle-eastern coloring with a permanent five o’clock shadow. He’s considered one of the country’s top health law lawyers, according to the UIUC Law Website, and describes himself as “a small-state libertarian.” As such, “all government is big government to [him].”

. . . . .

Later: Constitutional Law.

I don’t know whether this is a good omen or otherwise... or indeed what to make of it at all, if anything, but my Constitutional Law professor reminds me a lot, at least in appearance, of my favorite professor from Marquette (and, arguably, the only one I really liked, but that’s neither here nor there...). He’s tall and lanky like a redwood with army-cut gray hair and a nondescript camel-colored button-down shirt with khakis. He seems big on overhead slides, which is always appreciated (particularly when profs start exciting themselves with their brilliance and take to speaking so rapidly their words run into one another). His method of speaking is quite distinctive – he enunciates very sharply and speaks with great mouth gestures, as though he’s eating the air, but it’s not annoying; rather, it’s nice to have a very loud baritone keeping us awake and able to hear effectively. I have warmed up to him immediately, not only for his echo of my previous professor, but because he declared about ten minutes into class that “this course is virtually paperless” – he posts everything online. Additionally, he says he checks his voice mail about once a month, but checks his e-mail three to four times an hour. My kind of guy.

The final class this evening, Intro to Advocacy, boasts my only repeat professor from last semester, my writing ringleader Professor Grant, so that shouldn’t be noteworthy.